Sunday, March 13, 2005

My linux pvr project: step 1, build the box

I was getting bored at home (new in town, not too many friends here to hang out with yet), so I decided to build a new linux personal video recorder machine. It's turned out to be a fun and challenging project. More challenging than I expected.

I picked out the components at MicroCenter in Santa Clara last week. Here's what I got:

Motherboard: MSI RS480M2-IL
I picked this one cause it was inexpensive and had onboard video including tv-out and svideo. It's a socket 939 AMD board with SATA and all kinds of other good stuff. More on this later when I discuss getting linux installed and working.

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ socket 939

PVR card: Hauppage WinTV PVR-250

HDD: Maxtor 300GB SATA 7200RPM

Case: Antec Sonata

RAM: 512MB

All together, the components cost about $1000. Pretty good for a 64 bit socket 939 box (128-bit memory access path instead of 64 in socket 754)

It took about an hour to assemble the box. The hardest part there were getting the front panel usb, firewire, and sound connectors hooked up to the right jumpers on the motherboard.

Up next: installing linux

No comments: